Ever had one of those days?
You know what I'm talking about. Nothing goes according to plan, and the schedule may as well be thrown out the window. You're tired, stressed, frustrated, and annoyed all at the same time and would honestly like to just go back to bed and start the entire day over.
Yesterday was a little bit like that.
The morning was fine. I went to work, arrived to supervise the visit on time, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. It was the afternoon that got me.
The day before, my dad and I made plans to go get new tires for my car, something that has needed to happen for a while now. I would meet him at Walmart after I was done with work (arriving shortly after 11:30) and should still have plenty of time to come home and be ready to leave for VBS by 4:20 or so.
Little did I know what was an hour estimated job would turn into an entire afternoon ordeal.
I will spare the reader all the details; however, suffice it to say that I drove my parent's van, which was also getting a couple new tires, home in order to have the needed time to change and get ready for VBS. Let's just say that, after three unplanned stops at other places in order to get the old tires removed, I was not overly impressed with Walmart's tire services.
Today, my car does have new tires; however, my dad was the one who drove it home yesterday. He arrived just in time for me to leave again and arrive just a few minutes late to the last practice for that night's drama.
Judging from what other VBS workers said, I was not the only one with a long, crazy, stressful, tiring day either.
However, somewhere along the way a thought crossed my mind: Tonight's VBS lesson is about the gospel.
Call it a coincidence if you will. Say that it's just because yesterday was the Thursday of a long week if you want to. However, I don't think so.
We have an Enemy. An Enemy who is a master of distraction. And that Enemy does not want the gospel message to get out.
I don't see it as a coincidence that the same day that dozens of children would clearly hear that message is the day that multiple workers were stressed, tired, and very possibly distracted after a long day that, in some cases, wasn't supposed to be long and frustrating. Even some of the children seemed overly distracted by other things (such as who stole the donuts in the primary teacher's illustration).
I am pleased to announce that it didn't work. At least three precious children prayed to ask Jesus to be their Savior last night. Several others possibly heard the gospel for the first time. Distracted or not, the good news was proclaimed, and people responded.
Christians, we are in a spiritual battle for the souls of people. Satan will not willingly give up those who belong to him. He will fight back.
This is not the first time I have seen God do amazing things at the end of a day filled with distractions. Praise God for His promise that
"For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it" (Isaiah 55:10-11).
No comments:
Post a Comment