For the record, The Hunger Games was on my list of books to read before the movie came out. However, due to the length of that particular list and the fact that the series was not very high on that list, I only recently got around to actually reading it. Or, more accurately, listening to it.
The plot is centered around what can best be described as a futuristic Colosseum. Every year, the twelve districts of Panem, formerly North America, must send two teens (one boy, one girl) between the ages of 12 and 18 to fight to the death in a nationally televised competition.
I will admit that the writing itself was mediocre. The first thing I noticed was that it is written in present tense, which, to me, always causes a story to come across as amateur. Secondly, the emotions were only minimally deep. Anger, suspicion, grief, uncertainty, shock, and more emotions are described but never beyond surface level. Also, I realize that this is the first book of a trilogy, but the ending left something to be desired. Namely, anything that seemed like an ending. In most trilogies, there is some sort of a tie-up or justification for why the first and second books are not a single larger book instead. The ending of The Hunger Games felt like the ending of a chapter rather than a book.
What made up for the writing style was the story. I had my reservations about a plot based on twenty-four children murdering each other for sport. However, it ended up being much deeper than I expected. The "sport" ended up being a government ploy at keeping power, a reminder of what happens when the people rebel. Themes of sacrifice, love, survival, and more are hidden within Katniss's journey.
There is the violence expected with the aforementioned plot; however, over all, it was done without the blood, guts, and gore descriptions without sacrificing reality. That being said, I would not allow anyone who is younger than that 12 to 18 range read the Hunger Games.
(*SPOILER*)
I will admit that a part of me was wanting something more dramatic for the ending of the Games. My mind held an image of Katniss and Peeta standing face to face in the arena and flat out refusing to kill each other. When the announcement came that there could be two winners as long as they were from the same district, it seemed like a cop out to what could be a powerful moment. Of course, the gamemakers repeal the new rule, which would then make the above situation once again possible if Peeta had not been wounded the way he was. That eliminated any possibility of that defining moment I was hoping for when the characters faced the Capital and stated without any doubt that they did not control the lives and actions of the tributes. The cliche double suicide attempt perhaps served the same purpose of keeping both alive; however, for me, it left something to be desired.
Also, most descriptions of Katniss comment on her being strong and courageous, praising her for the way she takes care of her family and takes the place of her younger sister. That is true and, in many ways, admirable. However, as a person who works with children who have been forced to take care of themselves from a young age and grow up too fast, I do not see Katniss's situation as praiseworthy. Since she still had one living parent, she should not have needed to take sole responsibility to provide for her family at the age of twelve. Yes, Katniss is both strong and brave, a survivor, but I find it hard to see that as anything other than sad.
(*END SPOILER*)
Will I read the rest of the series? Yes. However, that decision is not because the first book was so amazing. Rather, it is because I am curious as to where the story will go from here.
No comments:
Post a Comment