What would a world look like at the end of the thousand years of darkness predicted if the prophesied hero failed?
That is basically the idea Brandon Sanderson started with in creating Mistborn. The Lord Ruler has reigned for a thousand years as god. Nobody questions his control or his power. Any resistance is brutally crushed. Then enters a small band of misfits who hatch an insane plot to overthrow him.
Mistborn: The Final Empire is just another example of masterful fantasy writing from Brandon Sanderson. The magic system of Allomancy is wonderfully unique, but it did take me a bit to get the hang of it. (Fortunately, there is a cheat sheet in the back that gives a rundown of the different metals.) Once I did, however, things only became more enjoyable as the details of it came into play.
And then there are the characters. Warning: You will fall in love with them. Their back and forth banter throughout the book adds a level of realism and is just plain fun.
There is more gore in Mistborn than I remember in the other Sanderson books I have read (Elantris, Warbreaker, and Emperor's Soul). Part of this, I am certain, is simply the nature of the setting. A world that has been enslaved for a thousand years is not going to be a happy place. Again, with that comes a level of realism and gripping descriptions.
All in all, an amazing book.
No comments:
Post a Comment