Thursday, March 9, 2017

New Job, New State, Same God

It started on the Fourth of July.  Of course, I didn't realize it at the time.  It was nothing more than a comment made while my mom and I sat on the back porch, watching the fireworks being launched by our neighbors.  I said that there were times I thought that I could be happy working at a camp.

From 3rd grade until graduation, camp was one of the highlights of my year.  I love camp.  I can give you a long list of reasons why.  I could tell you story after story of memories from camp, decisions I made at camp, friends I met during camp, and so on.  But on July 4, 2016, it wasn't anything more than that: memories that made me smile, an occasional thought about having the chance to do it again someday, an insignificant comment made while looking at the stars in between bursts of colorful fireworks.

Fast forward to January 8, 2017.  After losing my job in October, I was about two months into searching for a new one when family friends lodged at our house for a night.  During the course of conversation, it came up that Victory Ranch, the camp where she had headed up a fall ladies' retreat, had an opening for office staff.  To be honest, I think Janice was more excited about the possibility than I was.  On their way home the following day, she contacted the camp director and then send his contact information to me.

My family has been familiar with Victory Ranch for years.  We stayed there four different times on vacation from approximately 1995 to 2005.  So, although I had never attended any week of camp or retreat there, I was already generally familiar with the ranch.  However, it had been over ten years since I had last seen the property.

What followed was a series of emails back and forth.  I officially turned in my application for the position of Office Manager in early February.  I had a lengthy phone interview on the 16th, and then it was arranged to go out and visit the camp and meet the staff in person.

That took place this past weekend, March 4-7.  I (and my parents) made the 400 mile, 8 hour drive on Saturday.  When we arrived, Paul, the camp director, gave us a tour of the property and several of the buildings.  On Sunday, we visited a local church, had a meal with the pastor and his wife, and had the remainder of the day to relax and explore the area as we wished.  Monday honestly felt a lot like the first day of training, as I was shown the office, walked through several tasks for which I would be responsible, and had my questions answered.  That evening, they then had a staff supper, which allowed me to meet everyone.  Following that came another conversation with Paul, which ended in my accepting the position.  We then drove back home on Tuesday to start the preparations for my move to California later this month.

Since then, I've had several people ask me if I'm excited.  To be honest, I'm not sure what I am.  Excited is a part of it, but there is a mix of other emotions too.  I don't know what the right word would be to describe it.  It will be a big change.  I have so many things to do to get ready that it's hard to know where to start.

So I'll start here.

God is good.  Many, many prayers from many, many people went into this decision.  Me being me, a part of me still hopes that I am making the right decision (see my last post); however, a larger part of me knows better.  I think back to last July, my love for camp, how I lost my last job, the way I found out about this job, how things went this past weekend.  The only way I can think to describe it is that this feels right.  God has answered all those prayers that the right doors would open.  Yes, it will be a change, but it will be a good change because I serve a good God.

No comments:

Post a Comment