Saturday, August 18, 2018

A Cheerful (and Determined) Giver

I don't think he knew that I was watching him.

"He" was a junior camper at Victory Ranch this past month.  I would guess him to have been about fifth grade, and he just happened to be sitting in front of me during evening chapel that particular night.  For the most part, the entire row was typical junior boy, and he was no exception.  He didn't specifically catch my attention until the offering slips were being passed out.

Let me pause for a brief explanation of how the offering works at our summer camps.  At the start of the week, campers deposit their spending money into a "bank," which is then available for them to withdraw and use throughout the week.  For the offering, slips are available for campers to write the amount they wish to give out of their bank money.

Back to my story.  As the offering slips were being passed out in typical "raise your hand if you want one" style, this particular boy was missed.  When the offering baskets began to be passed down the rows, he was still in search of a slip.  At this point, personally, I would have given up and just accepted that I had missed my chance.  Not this boy.  I watched as he stood up, made his way past his friends to the aisle, and asked one of the staff for a slip.  He then made his way back to his seat and borrowed a pen from his neighbor.  By this time, the baskets had been collected, and the speaker was heading to the front.  Undeterred, the camper again walked to the back and made sure his slip found a basket.

One of the downsides of working in the camp office is that I have limited interaction with the kids.  While they are running from activity to activity, I remain in the office most of the day.  I know almost nothing about this boy.  I don't know if he is a church kid or just came because a friend invited him.  I don't know what amount he wrote on his slip.  I'm not even certain what his name is.  As I said at the start, I don't think he knew I was watching him, but he encouraged my heart.

When was the last time I was that determined to give?  It wasn't convenient for him.  He was toward the middle of the row and had to walk past a lot of people to reach the aisle.  He didn't have his own pen to use, so he had to ask a friend if he could use his.  He had to get back up and find where the baskets had gone while he was writing.  And yet he did it.  He had to sacrifice more than just the money he was giving, and yet he still made sure that it happened.

So I have just one question for you and for myself:  When was the last time we went out of our way, not caring whether or not it was convenient or what other people may think, to give of our money, talents, time, and efforts in order to bless another person?

No comments:

Post a Comment