Sunday, January 22, 2012

Christmas, New Years, and the Start of the Semester


Have I mentioned that I love my family?

I know that Christmas was almost a month ago, and it may seem a little late to be writing about it now.  However, my lack of time (or motivation) to do so does not mean that it will never get done.

This was a special Christmas for my family.  We had not all been together on Christmas since 2004.  In those eight years, three new members had been added to our family (my sister-in-law and two nephews); and it was wonderful to all be together, even if it was only for a short time.

What's more, it wasn't supposed to happen this year.  Tim and Mandie (who, by the way, are crazy) drove overnight from Tucson and arrived Saturday afternoon to spend the rest of Saturday and most of Sunday with us before driving overnight back to Tucson so that Mandie could be at work on Monday afternoon.  Makes me tired just thinking about it.

By Tuesday, everyone had dispersed with three exceptions.  Debbi, Benjamin, and Joseph spent the next two weeks with us.

(The whole family on Sunday morning)

New Years Eve found me thinking about the past year.  A lot had changed, but it was a good kind of change.  At the end of 2010, I had written a note to myself.  More accurately, I pounded out what I was feeling onto my keyboard while I bawled.  2010 was a hard year for me, and many things were uncertain at that point.  On New Years, I pulled up that note and read through it.  It was both sobering and exciting to see all that God had done since then.  God is good, and He is truly "able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20).

For now, I am back at college.  Iowa's weather has been predicable only in the fact that Iowa weather cannot be predicted.  My summer plans are very much in the air, and I have decided that I do not like the biology textbook.  Those, however, are all topics for later posts.

(Thanks to Pam for the pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment