"I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you" (John 14:18).
Many of you know the story. Pam and Nathan, my sister and brother-in-law, have been in the adoption process for a couple years. This past summer, they were given the referral for Maya K and headed for Ethiopia, where they got to meet their daughter. Then they had to come home without her because they still had to wait for the visa needed to bring her into the U.S. Tomorrow morning, Pam and Nathan leave to go back to Ethiopia. When they return home, Maya K will be with them.
Since Pam and Nathan received their referral, my dad has preached two messages on adoption, paralleling physical adoption with our spiritual adoption. Somewhere along the way, however, I started thinking about another spiritual truth that is illustrated quite well.
Hours before His crucifixion, Jesus spoke at length with His disciples, explaining many things to them. After He told them that He was going to be going away, the disciples were naturally confused and discouraged. However, Jesus then gave them this promise:
“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also" (John 14:1-3).
Legally, Maya K is the daughter of Nathan and Pamela Maxwell. She is a part of our family. She's just not home yet.
Spiritually, all true Christians are the children of God. We are a part of His family. We're just not home yet.
At the end of their first trip, Pam and Nate left Maya K with a promise that they would be coming back for her. For a period of time, she was still going to be in the transition home in Ethiopia, despite the fact that she is their daughter. However, she is not going to be left there forever.
At the end of His earthly ministry, Jesus left us with a promise: "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you" (John 14:18). For a period of time, we are still on the earth; however, we are not going to be left here forever.
During their time at home between the two trips, Pam and Nathan spent time getting ready for Maya K's arrival. Her room was painted; a car seat appeared in the backseat; her dresser drawers were filled; and (just to prove that she is a part of our family) her bookshelf was lined with books. Everything was made ready for the day she comes home.
Jesus told us, "I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:2). Our dwelling in heaven is being made ready for the day we go home.
Tomorrow, Pam and Nathan leave to bring Maya K home. She has a forever family who will always love and care for her.
Someday, Christ will return to take us home. We have a forever family in heaven, and we will be with Him for all eternity.


I've got tears in my eyes, Kristi!!! We have seen and thought of sooooooo many spiritual parallels throughout this adoption journey, but we had "missed" this one. THANK YOU for sharing!!!!! ~Pam~
ReplyDelete