Thursday, March 14, 2013

Creative Writing Poems

One of the classes I am taking this semester is Creative Writing.  This was the class I saw offered my freshman year and decided at that moment that I was going to take it.  I didn't care how I had to work to fit it in, since it's not required for my major; I was going to take it.

At the end of each unit, we turn in some of our writings for a grade.  The first unit was on poetry.  I am not a poet; however, it went better than I was expecting.  Below are the two poems I turned in for the unit.

---------------

He and Me

I always followed behind him.
I could not help myself.

Mom still comments upon
Our dishwashing routine.
The daily chore could never hold
Our imaginations captive.

We conquered the strongest fortress
And withstood the longest siege:
He, the mighty captain,
And me, his trusted lieutenant.

We explored the highest mountain peak
And searched the deepest cavern:
He, the daring ranger,
And me, his steady pathfinder.

We flew to the farthest corners of
The universe and back:
He, the fearless leader,
And me, his faithful companion.

Times have changed perhaps,
Yet never shall I forget the adventures
Of he, the best of brothers,
And me, his loving sister.

-----------

Black Lines

The message wasn’t long—
Five stark lines set
Against an empty page.

She was gone.
I couldn’t believe it,
Didn’t want to.

Yet the harsh reality, unchanging,
Stared back unfeelingly.
I knew it was coming,

Had said my goodbyes,
Yet I wanted to believe
The foreboding could never happen.

Not to her.
She had always been so strong,
So stubborn, so loving.

Voices jerked me from my reverie,
Spoke of rugged weather,
Tomorrow’s work, tonight’s plans.

I had plans too,
Plans forever altered in the sheer,
Unwavering truth of five black lines

That altered what had existed
For the length of my memory.
She was gone.

And the world would not stop to mourn
As I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment