The next few posts are the short stories and the drama I wrote for Creative Writing this semester. You are welcome to comment about what you think of them. In fact, I would kind of like to know.
---------------
I
dove into the waiting shadows of the bottom bunk, hastily hiding my treasures
among the blankets. The sheets smelled
like bleach. Funny how I never noticed
until I was nearly smothered by them.
The
door was only open the slightest crack, barely enough to make out Mom’s shadow
if she came down the hallway to check on us, yet my eyes still locked on the
slender beam of light. I waited, praying
that my movement had not wakened the occupant of the bed above me.
When
no shadows were forthcoming and the only sound remained the heavy breathing of
my sister, I carefully drew forth my treasures.
The
click of the flashlight seemed abnormally loud in the quiet room. I hastily smothered the blinding light
against my white pillowcase. Black spots
danced across my vision as my confused eyes tried to adjust.
Only
after I had ducked my head underneath the clean sheets did I dare pull forth
the light once more. My second treasure,
a half-finished book, was soon braced against my lifted knees. The cover of the book may have faded;
however, my interest in it had not. The
rainbow bookmark, reluctantly placed in the middle of a chapter, reflected in
the flashlight’s glow, sending sparkles of color to the otherwise bleak edges
of my makeshift tent.
My
niece giggled when I told her about hiding under the sheets. It was good to see a smile on her face again,
even if it did stand in stark contrast with her bald head.
“Will
you bring me some books, Aunt Becky?”
“Sure,
sweetheart. What do you want?”
“Oh,
anything.”
Our
conversation paused as an austere nurse stepped in to check one of the many
indecipherable machines scattered around the sterilized room. The whole area smelled of bleach and
disinfectant. Everything from the walls
to the water glass was white. Everything
save for the bright pink flowers on my niece’s shirt.
“Aunt
Becky?”
“Hm?”
“I
also want a coloring book.”
Mom
and Dad moved the bunk bed. I noticed it
when I returned to collect some odds and ends shortly after moving out. “No sense keeping it up with both of you
girls gone,” Mom said.
I
found the book in a dusty box shoved into the far corner of the basement. It was falling apart, the binding releasing
the worn pages one by one. The cover,
sun-bleached then, was now barely readable.
The rainbow bookmark no longer sparkled in the light. I slowly ran my fingers along the edge of the
musty pages.
“Not
much left, is there?” Dad commented as he came up behind me.
My
niece’s smile lit up the room as she tore into the brightly colored
package. Carefully, she turned her new
treasure over in her hands. The pages of
the book were still falling out despite the efforts of the tape stretched along
the binding, and the edge of a rainbow bookmark poked out of the top. Her fingers paused on the cover as she tried
to make out its title.
I
smiled. “This one was my favorite when I
was your age.”
I like it a lot. This story reminds me of what I might have done once or twice while growing up.
ReplyDelete