CHARACTERS
Craig, a
high school junior
Derek,
Craig’s brother
Julia, a classmate
SETTING: A high
school hallway.
AT RISE: CRAIG and
JULIA ENTER stage left. CRAIG walks
quickly toward center
stage. JULIA follows,
trying to catch up.
JULIA: Hey! I said wait up.
CRAIG: [Stops
and waits for JULIA to approach] Sorry.
JULIA: You’re sure in a hurry this
morning. At least your brother—
CRAIG: Don’t get me started about Derek.
JULIA: Uh oh, that doesn’t sound good.
CRAIG: We got into another one of our
fights after breakfast.
JULIA: [Looks
CRAIG up and down] I don’t see any black eyes or
broken bones.
CRAIG: It didn’t have the chance to get
that far.
[DEREK
ENTERS stage left.]
JULIA: [Softly] Speak of the Devil…
DEREK: [Sees
CRAIG and JULIA and approaches. He
points at CRAIG.] Just so
we’re perfectly clear, I’m
going tonight. I don’t care what you
say.
CRAIG: I’m not going to start this again,
Derek.
JULIA: Going where?
DEREK: We’re clear then?
JULIA: Clear about what?
CRAIG: We’re clear.
DEREK: Good.
JULIA: Would someone please tell me what
we’re clear about?
CRAIG: Just my brother trying to get
himself suspended. And probably arrested
for trespassing.
JULIA: [Shocked] What?
DEREK: Shut up, Craig!
CRAIG: Prove me wrong.
DEREK: I will. Tonight.
JULIA: What’s happening tonight?
DEREK: A group of us have got a plan for
Principal Harris’s office.
JULIA: But that’s always locked.
DEREK: So?
CRAIG: Did I mention breaking and
entering?
DEREK: [Angrily
to CRAIG] Look, just because you refuse to
be involved in any
prank, that doesn’t mean—
CRAIG: It’s called the law, Derek. I didn’t make it up.
JULIA: Wait. So what is the plan?
CRAIG: You mean that one that’s going to
get my brother kicked out of school?
DEREK: Not if we don’t get caught. I swear, Craig, if you tell on us…
CRAIG: I get the picture, okay? But a bad idea’s a bad idea; I don’t care if
you’re told on or not.
JULIA: So what’s the prank?
DEREK: Harris has earned a new parking
spot for his truck. Right in front of
his desk.
JULIA: No way!
last week. [To
CRAIG] I told you I wouldn’t let him get
away with it.
CRAIG: That’s not a prank, Derek. That’s revenge.
DEREK: Like you’re one to talk!
CRAIG: Who was standing beside you at the
end of that fight? I’m not the enemy
here.
JULIA: But to get the truck inside the
office you’ll practically have to take
the whole thing apart. Plus, Principal Harris always locks it up at
night. It’s impossible to get to. People have tried.
DEREK: There are ways.
JULIA: [Skeptical] How?
DEREK: Come with us tonight, and I’ll
show you.
CRAIG: [To
DEREK] Now wait just a minute. What makes you think—?
JULIA: When?
CRAIG: [Surprised] What?
JULIA: When?
DEREK: Midnight. We’re meeting by the storage sheds on the
east side.
CRAIG: [To
JULIA] You’re not really thinking—
JULIA: Why not? It’ll be an adventure, Craig.
DEREK: You in then?
JULIA: I’m game.
CRAIG: [Stunned] You’re kidding.
DEREK: Face it, Craig. Everyone’s in but you.
CRAIG: I don’t care who’s in.
JULIA: [To
CRAIG] Why don’t you just come with
us? It’ll be fun.
CRAIG: Getting suspended is not my idea
of fun!
DEREK: [To
JULIA] Leave him. He has no idea of fun.
CRAIG: We both know that’s not true.
DEREK: Prove me wrong. [To
JULIA] Come on, Julia.
[DEREK
and JULIA EXIT stage right. CRAIG calls
after them.]
CRAIG: It’s still a bad idea!
[Lights
fade. CURTAIN.]
No comments:
Post a Comment