Saturday, June 27, 2015

Reflections on Supreme Court Ruling

Yesterday, following the announcement of the Supreme Court Ruling legalizing homosexual marriage in all 50 states, my Facebook news feed (like every other person's news feed) filled up with comments, articles, and reactions.  A few things I "liked."  One particularly well-written article I shared.  However, for the most part, I read through these without leaving any response.

Still, some of the reactions couldn't help but stand out.  For the most part, my friends hold the same view I do:  marriage is defined by God as one man, one woman for life, no exceptions (Matthew 19:4-6).  However, there are some whose posts did not follow that line.  Among the articles and comments were a few who essentially said, "Whether or not I agree with the homosexual lifestyle, they should still have the right to be legally recognized as married."  There was one who changed her profile picture to one watermarked with rainbow colored lines.  And there was one who announced to the Facebook world that he is transgender.

For the lattermost of these, I want to say that I was surprised.  However, to be honest, surprise was not the primary emotion that I felt. I had no desire to condemn or judge him.  Neither did I want to beat him over the head with the Bible and spout verse after verse claiming that he is wrong.  I have no intention of unfriending him.  All I felt was a profound sense of sadness.   This individual is someone that I know, someone I went to college with; although, granted, not someone I have had a lot of contact with recently.  This is someone I sat beside in class and someone I studied for doctrine tests with.  This is someone who made me smile with his notes and drawings.  This is someone who did, and as far as I know still does, claim the name of Christ.

I could not in good conscience "like" his post, for that would be implying that I agree with his decision.  I did not comment on it either, since I didn't even have the words to express my thoughts at the time and I have no desire to start an arguement.  So I kept scrolling, and I prayed for him.

I don't know whether or not he will ever see this post.  I don't know that it even matters.  Nothing I say can change him; I'm not the Holy Spirit.  I won't apologize for my beliefs, and I will stand where the Bible says to stand.  Still, I plan to keep praying for him whenever he comes to mind.

I debated whether or not I should even write this post, but my thoughts couldn't be ignored.  Friends, we need to stop viewing the so-called LGBT community as a political cause, a disease, or whatever else we tend to classify them as.  These are people.  People who are wrong, yes, but still people.  And, therefore, people Christ died for.  Disagree with them, but pray for them.  Don't compromise your beliefs for them, but still love them.  And when they come to Christ and repent, accept them with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment