Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

I don't know who originally said it, but "Nobody is the villain in their own story."  Such is the case with Darth Bane.

Unwittingly, the reader will find himself cheering for Bane.  The "bad guy."  The Sith.  The villain.  This is because the author, Drew Karpyshyn, tells his story.  The reader watches Dessel become Darth Bane, traveling from cortosis minor to soldier to Sith to Dark Lord.  You feel bad for him; you understand him; you want him to succeed... And then you realize what that means.

This was the second time I read Path of Destruction; although, the first time I never continued onto the rest of the trilogy, mainly because it had not been finished at that time. So this time, I largely knew what was coming, despite having forgotten some of the details.  Because of the way it messes with my mind, I don't know that I can say it is one of my favorite books, but it still easily earns five out of five stars.  It is not every author that can make you connect with a man who will do anything for power, no matter what he has to do to get it.  There are moments that make me recoil from who Bane becomes -- after all, cunning, betrayal, and ambition are the way of the dark side -- yet the villain in this story is not Darth Bane.

No comments:

Post a Comment