Saturday, February 25, 2012

To My Brothers in Christ

Can I be perfectly frank for a moment?

Last Thursday all of the girls on campus had a combined devos in the Student Center.  The topic was modesty.

The lack of modesty is definitely a problem in our culture.  If anyone doubts that, all he needs to do is look at the society around us.  He will not have to look far.  Since I come from a state that is warm year round and does not even have snow to get the girls to cover up, I especially have seen this problem.  Now, overall, I try to be careful and remain aware of how what I wear may affect the guys around me.  However, I don't think many guys realize that this problem can go both ways.

When the word modesty is first spoken, I think it is safe to say that a lot of guys tune out.  They think that modesty is a girl's issue.  To a certain extent it is true that girls tend to have more issues in this area than guys do; however, modesty is not a one way street.

I will admit to being bothered by guys who come into the dining hall wearing shirts that are ripped all the way down the sides or pants that hang low enough that their boxers can be seen.  I have heard other girls mention that this bothers them as well.  Now I know that because guys and girls are wired differently this probably does not affect the girls in the same way that it would affect the guys if the girls did the same; however, I think the guys should be aware that the girls are still affected by it in some way.

I think it is naive of us to assume that guys don't have trouble with modesty or that girls don't struggle with impure thoughts.  Just because there isn't much traffic on one side of a street, does not mean that one can ignore the fact that it goes two ways.

I was challenged last Thursday to reexamine how what I specifically wear will affect my brothers in Christ.  I am not naive enough to think that this problem cannot exist even on a Christian campus with a dress-code.  Guys and girls are different, and we need to be aware of that difference.  Guys tend to be visual, just as girls tend to be more physical/emotional.  Each side needs to understand how what they do can (and will) affect the other gender.

Brothers in Christ, if you ever see me in an outfit that causes you to stumble in some way, please find a way let me know so that I can fix it.  I want to build you up in your walk with Christ, not be a hindrance.  I don't want to be the one who distracts you from focusing on God during chapel or church; I don't want to be the cause of your struggle in class or at any other time.

Girls, let's help our brothers.  They should not be expected to fight this battle on their own.  We can help them, and I believe that we are responsible to God for doing so.  Let's bring glory to God by not being that distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment