Saturday, August 4, 2012

Warriors: Firestar's Quest


Let me start out by saying that this was a decent read; however, I admit that I'm disappointed. Honestly, the best word that I can come up to describe Firestar's Quest is pointless.

Timewise, Firestar's Quest falls between the original Warriors series and the New Prophecy series, both of which I read before Firestar's Quest. As such, I did enjoy reading about some things that happened between the two series that are mentioned in the New Prophecy. Most of these, however, happen within the first nine chapters; and not everything mentioned at the start of the New Prophecy (such as Sorrelpaw's injury) is included.

I did enjoy the story (although, I seemed to be half-way through the book before much really happened); however, it just didn't seem to have much purpose. Nothing changes for the four Clans known and loved from the original Warriors. SkyClan is not brought back to the forest; and judging from the New Prophecy series, Firestar, Sandstorm, Graystripe, and Cinderpelt remain the only cats who know of the fifth Clan's existence. The only thing that is mentioned in the New Prophecy series about their journey is Firestar remembering Graystripe's promise to "wait for him." Unless it happens in a Warriors book I have not yet read, SkyClan is never mentioned again.

One other thing is the argument between Firestar and Sandstorm that, literally, comes out of nowhere. Sandstorm suddenly comes out with a belief that Firestar does not love her as much as he loved Spottedleaf. The whole argument seems out of place when one considers the time element. If I calculated correctly, Firestar and Sandstorm have already been mates for about a year at this point. Spottedleaf was killed when both of them were still apprentices, and Firestar was the deputy by the time Sandstorm became his mate. Therefore, it seems very unlikely that this argument would not have already surfaced by the time of their journey.

All that being said, I did enjoy the storyline of Firestar's Quest. Part of me wishes that SkyClan is mentioned elsewhere because I would like to know what happens after the ThunderClan cats leave. However, all things considered, I was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment