This Christmas break has been interesting. To be honest, although I fly back to Ankeny in two days, I don't feel like I've had much of a break. A lot of what I planned to do this break is not done. To a certain extent, that's normal since I tend to be overly ambitious about what I will be able to accomplish. However, because of recovering from surgery, finishing finals, and having the flu for over a week, almost none of what I was planning got done.
I'm saying all this to introduce what God has been teaching me over the break. It began as a simple thought the weekend before finals when I was sitting in the hospital and has continued to run through my brain the rest of Christmas break.
We were waiting for the results of the CT scan to determine whether or not I was going to be having surgery that night. In the back of my mind were all the things I was supposed to have gotten done that Saturday, none of which involved spending the day in Urgent Care and the hospital. When the doctor called to inform us that it was my appendix, a half-forgotten quote came to my mind. I don't remember where I first heard it or even exactly how it went, but it was something along the lines of the following:
"God has the right to change my plans for any reason whenever He sees fit."
I'm going to be honest, that is NOT what I wanted to hear at that moment, from myself or anyone else. I am an organized person who likes to know what the plan is and what to expect. I had my plans for that week, and I didn't want God to change them.
Fast forward to the rest of the break. I once again had my plans. I was going to spend the first week finishing my last project and two tests. My mom and I were going to go shopping for a couple clothing items I need, and she was going to make my spring banquet dress. I was going to have my hair trimmed. I was going to start marking my Bible for orals.
Once again God had other plans. I forgot the textbook I needed for one test in Iowa. The other test didn't get mailed when expected. I finished my last test two days ago. Both my mom and I got the flu, which then lasted for over a week. We finally got the material for my dress yesterday. Needless to say, it will be made over Spring Break instead. My hair still hasn't been cut. Because the last test, part of which I could use an unmarked Bible for, was delayed, I haven't started marking said Bible yet.
But here's the thing: God has the right to change my plans. He's God. The Maker of the universe is not obligated to adjust His ways to fit my plans.
God sees the big picture of history from start to finish in every detail of what happened and what will happen. I see what I remember of my history plus what I believe might possibly happen in the future. Whose plans do you think are more reliable?
No comments:
Post a Comment