Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Adventure of the Locked Car Door, Part 2


"Kristi, which of the guys on campus do you think could pick a lock?"

I looked over at Morgan.  "Honestly, the first one that comes to mind is Brandon Lange," I replied.

Morgan called him.  Brandon, campus's man of many talents, arrived at the girl's parking lot shortly thereafter, about the same time I came out with my flashlight.

For the next 45 minutes, I'm certain we made quite the picture.  Five girls (by this time Regina and Beth had joined us) huddled together against the cold, attempting to create some sort of wind break for Brandon, who was crouched beside the car door with his set of lock picks.

I'm not going to lie; it was cold!  This is Iowa in January after dark.  By the time we determined that Sarah's car is completely burglar-proof, I could only partially feel my feet.  Regina, who had just returned from a camp winter meltdown, was standing inside her sleeping bag.  I felt sorry for Brandon, who could only wear one glove while working with the lock.  Morgan, on the other hand, felt bad for me, the only one in the group who did not grow up in the freezer section of the country.

One pin shy of getting the door open, we were forced to give up.  There was too much presser on the pin.  We headed for the student center to warm up.

With Plans A through D expired, we were forced to go with Plan E:  Sarah would be spending the night in the dorm.  An earlier conversation had revealed that the clicker was of a make that needed to be reset by the dealer.  In other words, she could probably get it revived on Monday.  Therefore, she found someone to give her a ride to church the next morning.  From there, she would be able to return to the pastor's home, where she is staying for the first half of her student teaching.  Another person would give her a ride to school Monday morning, and she would be able to return to Ankeny to have her clicker fixed afterwards.

In the meantime, we had her for the rest of the night.  We decided to make the most of it by watching a Veggietales that we had planned to watch finals week last semester and hadn't for obvious reasons.  We all pitched in to get Sarah what she needed for the night before heading for bed.

Of course, we woke up Sunday morning to discover that all our churches had cancelled their morning services due to the freezing rain Ankeny had gotten overnight.

In other words, we got Sarah for the morning and afternoon as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment