So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so (James 3:5-10).
The hot topic debate on campus at the moment is the decision of Saylorville Church to remove the word "Baptist" from their name and Faith's subsequent response to that decision. I have my own opinions on the subject, as does everyone else. However, that is not the point of this post, and not a point I ever intend to post about.
I don't know all the background leading up to either Saylorville's or Faith's decisions. I am not a member of Saylorville Church nor am I a member of Faith's administration. I am merely a Faith student who is aware of what is happening and has read many people's opinions by way of Facebook statuses; the statement released by Faith; an article written by Dr Kevin Bauder; and most recently, an article written by Pat Nemmers, the pastor of Saylorville Church.
Honestly, the action of either the church or the school is not what concerns me. Both had the right to make the decisions that they did. What does concern me is the attitudes displayed in many, if not most, of the opinions I have read.
Everyone is quick to take sides. The initial reaction to Dr. Maxwell's announcement was immediately divided. Students started talking. Unfortunately, very little of it was positive in any way. It rapidly turned into an attitude of "us" and "them," Faith vs. Saylorville, to the point of one person even saying that he was ashamed to be known as a former Faith student. Online arguments erupted in a mixture of emotions, opinions, and scattered facts.
And the sin nature of born-again believers showed itself.
Scripture often warns us about the use of our tongues. James 3 is probably one of the most familiar. Verse 2 tells us that "if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body." We as depraved, sinful beings are very, very good at using our tongues.
Unfortunately, as redeemed Christians, we are still very good at using our tongues in the exact same way.
One argument that has been commonly heard in this debate is that all born-again Christians are a part of the Body of Christ, brothers and sisters in Christ, and should remain unified. Frankly, I haven't seen much attempt at unity with fellow believers on either side. I have not seen loving attitudes or attempts to build each other up. Instead, I have seen a lot of tearing each other down.
It is not wrong to have opinions, but the fact remains that Saylorville and Faith are both doing what they believe to be God's will. He is still sovereign, and in one way or another, He will be glorified through this situation. From all I've seen, we aren't helping the situation by arguing about it.
James 3 continues by comparing the wisdom of this world with God's wisdom:
Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace (vv. 13-18).
I'm just as guilty as anyone, but I do want to ask, "How are you using your tongue?" Are you seeking unity by building up your brothers and sisters in Christ? Or are you still tearing people down because they do not agree with your opinion?
|
Friday, February 8, 2013
The Tongue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment