Finals week did not go as I planned.
In fact, that may be the understatement of the semester.
By the time we reached Festival of Carols and Open Dorms on December 7, I had already been fighting a cold for a week. I wasn't feeling the greatest, but I pushed through and helped Sarah, my roommate, decorate our room anyway. It was worth it for all the fun reactions we received by having a Narnia themed room that night. However, I knew I needed to be extremely productive on Saturday because of the two projects plus some that was due on Monday.
Then came Saturday morning.
I woke up around 6 o'clock with pressure in the middle of my abdomen. At the time, I figured something I had eaten at Open Dorms must not have agreed with me. I ignored it and went back to sleep.
By the time I got up, pressure was turning into pain, and I felt lousy. When the pain started shifting to my right side, that set off warning bells in my mind. I'm not a person who wants to go to the doctor unless there is really something wrong with me; but in the end, Jessie, my RA, drove me to Urgent Care.
I had already called my mom to let her know what was going on, and she must have called my siblings. Pam called to ask if she should come. At the time, we were just waiting, so I thought it made more sense for her to wait until we knew more.
In the end, neither the blood work or the x-ray showed that it was my appendix; however, since I had three out of the four symptoms for appendicitis, the doctor wanted to do a CT scan. That meant going downtown to the hospital. At this point, although Jessie was more than willing to take me, I decided Pam should probably come. When Jessie called, Pam was walking into the waiting room. (Have I mentioned that I love my family?)
To make a long story at least a little shorter, suffice it to say that the CT scan showed that it was my appendix. By the time I got signed into the ER and was waiting for the surgeon, both Debbi and Bob Schultz were also there.
At this point, my sisters started to tag team. Since both of them have little kiddos at home, they worked it out with each other and their husbands so that I wasn't left alone. It was greatly appreciated, especially the next day.
The surgery went without complication. Although, I will add that the anesthesia knocks a person out really quick. Coming back in, however, is a bit more fuzzy. I honestly don't remember being moved into the hospital room I spent the night in.
Since all I wanted to do was sleep anyway, I didn't see any need for either Debbi or Pam to spend the night curled up in a chair beside me. Pam made sure I was settled in before leaving, and Debbi was with me the next morning (Sunday).
I was released early afternoon that day after spending the morning watching movies and learning that pulling yourself up uses less abdominal strength than pushing yourself up. Since my suitemate Kayla had come down with strep throat, it was decided that I probably should not stay in the dorm; and we all knew that I wouldn't get much rest at either of my sisters' houses because of three certain four and five year olds. Therefore, I ended up spending Sunday and Monday night at the house of a church "grandma." Judy Swope was more than willing and able to take care of me for a couple days until I returned to the dorm on Tuesday afternoon.
Needless to say, not all of my finals were completed before I left for home that Friday. However, I finished what I could, and the professors were willing to work with me. Although I am still waiting for my last final to arrive so I can take it, the other test and project were completed just before (the project) and after (the test) Christmas.
On the bright side, I will never have to do this again.
By the time we reached Festival of Carols and Open Dorms on December 7, I had already been fighting a cold for a week. I wasn't feeling the greatest, but I pushed through and helped Sarah, my roommate, decorate our room anyway. It was worth it for all the fun reactions we received by having a Narnia themed room that night. However, I knew I needed to be extremely productive on Saturday because of the two projects plus some that was due on Monday.
Then came Saturday morning.
I woke up around 6 o'clock with pressure in the middle of my abdomen. At the time, I figured something I had eaten at Open Dorms must not have agreed with me. I ignored it and went back to sleep.
By the time I got up, pressure was turning into pain, and I felt lousy. When the pain started shifting to my right side, that set off warning bells in my mind. I'm not a person who wants to go to the doctor unless there is really something wrong with me; but in the end, Jessie, my RA, drove me to Urgent Care.
I had already called my mom to let her know what was going on, and she must have called my siblings. Pam called to ask if she should come. At the time, we were just waiting, so I thought it made more sense for her to wait until we knew more.
In the end, neither the blood work or the x-ray showed that it was my appendix; however, since I had three out of the four symptoms for appendicitis, the doctor wanted to do a CT scan. That meant going downtown to the hospital. At this point, although Jessie was more than willing to take me, I decided Pam should probably come. When Jessie called, Pam was walking into the waiting room. (Have I mentioned that I love my family?)
To make a long story at least a little shorter, suffice it to say that the CT scan showed that it was my appendix. By the time I got signed into the ER and was waiting for the surgeon, both Debbi and Bob Schultz were also there.
At this point, my sisters started to tag team. Since both of them have little kiddos at home, they worked it out with each other and their husbands so that I wasn't left alone. It was greatly appreciated, especially the next day.
The surgery went without complication. Although, I will add that the anesthesia knocks a person out really quick. Coming back in, however, is a bit more fuzzy. I honestly don't remember being moved into the hospital room I spent the night in.
Since all I wanted to do was sleep anyway, I didn't see any need for either Debbi or Pam to spend the night curled up in a chair beside me. Pam made sure I was settled in before leaving, and Debbi was with me the next morning (Sunday).
I was released early afternoon that day after spending the morning watching movies and learning that pulling yourself up uses less abdominal strength than pushing yourself up. Since my suitemate Kayla had come down with strep throat, it was decided that I probably should not stay in the dorm; and we all knew that I wouldn't get much rest at either of my sisters' houses because of three certain four and five year olds. Therefore, I ended up spending Sunday and Monday night at the house of a church "grandma." Judy Swope was more than willing and able to take care of me for a couple days until I returned to the dorm on Tuesday afternoon.
Needless to say, not all of my finals were completed before I left for home that Friday. However, I finished what I could, and the professors were willing to work with me. Although I am still waiting for my last final to arrive so I can take it, the other test and project were completed just before (the project) and after (the test) Christmas.
On the bright side, I will never have to do this again.
Neat to hear the whole story kristi! Thanks for sharing. -Jess
ReplyDelete