Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Post in Which I Explain the "Not Much" that Has Been Going On

My recent answer whenever someone asks me what's been going on has been "not much."

That's certainly what it feels like.  I've been doing a lot of just sitting around the house, working on various things here and there as I think of them, waiting for a call or e-mail that doesn't come from some employer willing to drop a job into my lap.  However, when I actually stop to think about it, there have been several things going on recently.

I sent out my resume.  My initial blitz has fizzled into sending one out whenever a position catches my attention.  This may come from a person mentioning a place to look into or an e-mail I get from one of the job sights I've posted on.  Thus far, this has resulted in one interview and a lot of no responses.  Still no job.

I enjoyed Mom and Dad's new kittens.  After Jolie had to be put down last February, Dad told my mom that she could get a kitten as soon as she was ready.  Once the chaos of the move was over, Mom started looking.  "A" kitten became two when Mom asked if, were she to find a two-for-the-price-of-one type sale, she could get two.  Just so happened, the day she and I went to look, the kittens she and Dad had looked at the day before were half price.  The result was a three month old sibling pair:  Lynx and Socks.  This took place about a month and a half ago.  The two have been a lot of fun to watch when I'm over at Mom and Dad's place.

I turned 22.  This one is fairly self-explanatory.  My actual birthday was spent shopping with Mom and Mandie.  We celebrated with spaghetti, ice cream, and a giant cookie the following evening.

I visited churches.  A lot of them.  I'm going to be honest: I don't like visiting unfamiliar churches.  I love having my own church family, where I know what's going on, where I'm going, and who is likely to be there.  Going to a different church every Sunday for two months, therefore, may be necessary to find a church home, but that does not cause it to be enjoyable for me.  Fortunately, unless something happens in the next few weeks to change my mind, I think I have finally found my church.

I edited a book.  Okay, this is probably the biggest one.  Approximately two weeks ago, I received a somewhat random call from my brother, asking me if I'd be interesting in editing a published book.  A couple who attends their church has written a Christmas devotional for families.  My grammar abilities came up in conversation when Tim mentioned that I've been helping proofread his MBA papers.  To avoid boring details, suffice it to say that I spent a week editing 59 pages of Christmas story information.  As far as I know, the book is currently with the illustrator and will be printed later this year.  The work has earned me another line on my resume and a copy of the book.

In other words, in the last two months, I have been more productive than I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment