A War of Gifts was not a book I intended to read. But I found myself at a library with a couple hours to burn and, after checking to see if Xenocide was on the shelf (which it wasn't), picked this up instead.
At barely over a hundred pages, it was a quick, easy read. I agree with one person's comment that I saw, saying that it felt like A War of Gifts belonged in a Christmas story collection of some kind. There is nothing too exciting about the story itself; it is simply another glimpse of life at the Battle School for Ender and his friends.
I will add that Orson Scott Card still confuses me with how he portrays religion in his books (at least the ones I have read). The plot in A War of Gifts is essentially a battle over Santa Clause and whether he should be deemed as a religious figure. This sparks a "war" over religious freedom, or lack thereof, at the Battle School. It makes some interesting points, but leaves the reader with no sense of an answer. In addition, the "Christianity" of Zeck's family is so twisted that it does not deserve the title. I do not deny that such religions exist, but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth nonetheless.
All in all, a nice, quick read if you have nothing better to do for an hour or two, but I wouldn't seek it out and probably will never read it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment