Saturday, October 31, 2015

Darth Bane: Rule of Two

For some reason Rule of Two didn't grab my attention the same way Path of Destruction did.  Of course, this is often the case in the second book of a trilogy.  I have two theories for why it was the case here:

First, character development seemed to be lacking.  Path of Destruction did this so wonderfully with the creation of Darth Bane from Dessel, but Rule of Two didn't seem to take it any further.  It was still a good book, but it did not measure up to the expectations set by the first.

Second, I guessed, at least in part, what was going to happen... and it depressed me.  Unlike Path of Destruction, in which the Jedi were not seen until Hoth was pulled in over halfway through the book, Rule of Two follows Johun right from the beginning.  There is no common enemy this time.  And since there is a third Darth Bane book, it wasn't hard to guess that things were not going to end up well for Johun and his friends.

In other words, Rule of Two felt like a necessary filler between books.  Granted, because I have not yet finished the trilogy, I have not confirmed this; but that is often the case for the second book.  I enjoyed it, but I have better expectations for Dynasty of Evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment