Shadows close about me. Darkness surrounds me. The wind tears at me with its icy claws. I am lost in a cold, dark, and endless night.
The darkness is now fearful. How willingly I once came into its embrace. How willingly I now would leave it. I have been betrayed for too long.
The fine clothing I was promised has become nothing but rags. They are torn and bloodied, and I have nothing to wash the stains from them.
Voices call out to me. They taunt me and drag me into the mud. I am wounded.
Are these the ones to whom I so eagerly ran? The ones I considered my friends and allies? I am covered with the scars of their so-called friendship. Injury upon injury I have endured.
The voices surround me. I try to run, but I cannot escape. I am broken, bruised, and beaten down. Chains bind me; I cannot break free. I am condemned to die.
Light suddenly surrounds us. The voices shriek. A Man approaches. A word from His mouth and the voices flee, but I cannot move. I am ashamed of my wounds, my scars, my rags. I cannot even look up.
I feel His hand on my shoulder. I shiver at His touch. He lifts me to my feet; my chains fall off.
I see the scars on His own hands. Is this the Man I scorned for so long? The One whom I blasphemed and rejected?
I know my unworthiness and cannot bear to look at His face. Why should He save me after all I have done against Him?
He reaches down and lifts up my chin. “Child,” He says. “You are worthy because I have made you worthy. I will heal your wounds; though, the scars may remain. I will trade your rags for white robes and your shame for My righteousness.”
I am rescued. He lifts me gently into His arms; I do not resist. I lay my head on His chest as He carries me home. I fear no more.
No comments:
Post a Comment