Saturday, July 30, 2011

Warbreaker

Yesterday, I finished the book Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson.  I promised I would post book reviews in my original post.  Well, this is the first book I've finished since then, so here we go.

First of all, let me start by saying that I blame my brother-in-law for getting me started on both this book and this author.  The first book I read by Brandon Sanderson, Elantris, I started because I happened to join Nathan and Pam on a trip to Ohio for our cousin's wedding last summer.  During trips, they listen to audio books.  The book they started on this trip happened to be Elantris; however, the trip was not long enough to finish said book.  However, by that point, I was already long past hooked on the storyline.  Therefore, upon arriving back home, I took a trip to the library.  Since Elantris is not the book I am focusing on in this post, I will spare you the details on that until another time, save for saying that Elantris is also a book I recommend.

The irony is that it was Nathan and Pam who also got me started on Warbreaker.  This time it was in the form of Nathan reading out loud while I was staying with them.  At any rate, the situation repeated itself; I got hooked on the storyline and headed for the library.

Warbreaker is a fantasy genre, magic included.  It tells the story of two kingdoms, Idris and Hallandren, and the impending war between them.  Since I know more than a few people who would be upset if I gave away too much of the storyline, I will try to avoid saying much more than what is on the back of the book itself.  The story follows a handful of main characters and their efforts to either start or stop the war:  Vivenna and Siri, the princesses of Idris; Susebron, the mysterious God King of Hallandren whom one of the princesses is to marry; Lightsong, the returned god who does not believe in his own deity; and Vasher, the Awakener with a complicated past, with his black sword Nightblood.

Brandon Sanderson is a wonderful author of detail.  One knows that he had to have many more details worked out in his head than he actually included in the story.  Both kingdoms come with their own history, customs, prejudices, and religious systems.  Similarly, the magic system includes its own rules, methods, and beliefs.  The whole system is based off of color and Breath.  The more Breath one has, the stronger his abilities.

Another thing about Brandon Sanderson is that he is good at making the unexpected happen.  With some authors, one can see plot twists coming before they happen.  Not with Sanderson!  A couple of the twists in Warbreaker made me stop and wonder "Where did that come from?"; "Did that really just happen?"; or "What in the world!"  Even looking back through the book, I cannot piece together many hints or warnings about what was coming.

Also, in this novel, one is introduced to one of the most unique, and enjoyable, characters I have ever seen in a book:  Lightsong the Bold, the Returned (called gods in Hallandren) who carefully maintains his image of being utterly useless while somehow managing to get completely involved in everything that is going on in the court.

The downside?  There are some suggestive comments made.  Most of these come from one of the characters, the goddess Blushweaver.  Nothing comes of them; and I, at least, was able to look past them.

All in all, I would recommend this book.  The plot is original and has many unexpected elements; the characters are at least mostly enjoyable and realistic; the world is detailed.  Unless you are a person who is against magic, fantasy, and unexpected twists, read Warbreaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment